Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Updates of COVID-19 Impacted Activities
ISWO continues to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic situation in the province of Ontario, and the recommendations provided by public health authorities, for keeping our staff community members and program participants safe. Based on the escalation of COVID-19 cases in Ontario, and given the recommendation for the continued use of social distancing, ISWO has extended its program closures to April 30, 2020. The organization will reassess the situation near the end of April and provide an update at that time.
ISWO has received additional questions from families and communities since the first COVID-19 statement was released on March 11, 2020 and in response has prepared the following additional frequently asked questions (FAQ) based on inquires received.
What is the status of the 2020 North American Indigenous Games?
The 2020 North American Indigenous Games have been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with the intention to reschedule the Games in Halifax, Nova Scotia during the summer of 2021. Athletes eligible to compete at NAIG 2020 will remain eligible to participate in the rescheduled Games.
For more information please visit naig2020.com.
If I already tried out for Team Ontario for NAIG 2020, do I have to try out again?
If you attended a Team Ontario tryout for NAIG 2020, you do not have to try out again. All previously conducted try outs will be considered. ISWO intends to host the remaining tryouts throughout the late summer, fall and winter of 2020 and the spring of 2021. A tentative schedule of dates will be released in the coming months.
I tried out for the 2020 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships (NAHC), which were cancelled. Will I be considered for the 2021 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships?
The Aboriginal Sport Circle has recently made the decision, with input from all members, that they will not extend age eligibility for the 2021 NAHC. Individuals still within the eligible age category who tried out for the 2020 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships, will be eligible to attend the tryout process for 2021, which will take place in the fall and winter of 2020/2021. All athletes will be required to pay a Team Ontario tryout fee for the 2021 NAHC.
I tried out for the 2020 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships (NAHC), which have been cancelled. Will my tryout fee be refunded?
No. ISWO will not be issuing refunds for tryouts that took place for the 2020 NAHC. The tryout fee is collected to book the venue for the tryout and to ensure that Team Ontario coaching staff and ISWO support staff are able to attend and identify athletes. The tryout fees offset some of the hard costs that ISWO incurs in hosting tryouts across the province.
I saw a notice that the 2020 Ontario Native Basketball Invitational (ONBI) has been postponed. Will the 2020 ONBI still be taking place this year?
ISWO, in partnership with the Athlete Institute, is committed to hosting the 2020 ONBI and is looking at alternative dates in the fall/winter but is unable to confirm any dates at this time. The timelines of the current pandemic situation are uncertain and will impact when ISWO is able to restart programming. The health and safety of the participants, their families and broader communities, is our first priority. We will continue to follow the recommendations issued by public health authorities and as soon as we are able to, look to confirm dates for the 2020 ONBI.
Will ISWO be hosting Multi-Sport camps this summer?
The timelines of the current pandemic situation are uncertain and will impact when ISWO is able to restart programming. The health and safety of the participants, their families and broader communities, is our first priority. We will continue to follow the recommendations issued by public health authorities and adjust our programming accordingly. At this time, all ISWO programming has been cancelled until the end of April, and it seems unlikely that ISWO will be able to host any programming for the next few months. We will continue to assess the situation and provide updates as required.